Grilled vegetable sandwich
Feel free to customize your sandwich
to include favorite veggies, cheeses,
spreads and breads.
Yield: 4 sandwiches
Serving size: 1 sandwich
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 (½-inch thick) slices eggplant
- 2 (½-inch thick) slices red onion
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut
into 4 pieces
- 1 large zucchini, cut lengthwise into
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 ciabatta bread rolls, cut in half
horizontally (toasted or grilled
- Cooking spray
- 4 slices provolone cheese, halved, or
5 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- Heat grill to medium-high. Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl,
tossing to coat.
- Remove vegetables from bowl, reserving vinegar mixture.
- Place the onion and bell pepper on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill
7 minutes on each side or until tender. Grill zucchini and eggplant 4 minutes on
each side or until tender.
- Brush bottom halves of ciabatta rolls with the remaining vinegar mixture.
Top evenly with eggplant, onion, red pepper, zucchini, cheese and basil.
Cover with tops of ciabatta rolls.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 300; fat 13 g; saturated fat 6 g; carbohydrates 34 g; protein 13 g; cholesterol 20 mg; sodium 630 mg; fiber 6 g.