Minestrone soup recipe
A cholesterol-free version of this classic Italian vegetable soup is brimming with fiber-rich beans, peas and carrots.
Prep time: 15 minutes;
Cook time: 1 hour
Yield: 16 servings
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced, or ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- 1⅓ cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1½ cup coarsely chopped celery and leaves
- 1 can (6 oz.) no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup sliced carrots, fresh or frozen
- 4¾ cups shredded cabbage
- 1 can (1 lb.) no-salt-added tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (15½ oz.) low-sodium red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cup frozen peas
- 1½ cup fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Dash hot sauce
- 11 cups water
- 2 cups spaghetti, finely broken, uncooked
- Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan.
- Add garlic, onion and celery and sauté about 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except spaghetti, and stir until ingredients are well mixed.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add uncooked spaghetti and simmer 2 to 3 minutes only. Serve warm.
Nutritional information per 1 cup serving: Calories 153; Total fat 4 g; Saturated fat less than 1 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 191 mg.